Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I've never been a morning person..

This morning as I was getting ready for work, I heard a sound that took me back 15 years.

Two days ago I finally turned my air conditioning off and opened the windows in my condo. All three of them. We don't get much air flow, but we do get outside sound. I sure do love hearing your dog bark at 7 a.m. every morning. You know who you are! (Not Bertha!)

Anywho this morning through the window I heard that familiar lurch, screech, lurch of a school bus. I could pick that sound out from a mile away. I always knew it was the school bus, and that it was coming to take me away, away to school, and torturous learning.

See, when I was in 3rd through 5th grade, I went to a BIG Elementary School. Maybe it wasn't really that big, maybe they just didn't have enough buses. Either way, they had to do 2 rounds of buses every day. The buses went out in the morning at 6:00 to pick up students and drop them off at school, then went back out to pick up the second round of students. Then, the same thing happened in the afternoon.

I was one of the unfortunate kids that was picked up first in the morning, and dropped off last in the afternoon. These people were at school an hour before everyone else, and an hour after everyone else. *yay*.

I was picked up every morning around 6:30 a.m. Ickh. Anyone who knows me, knows I am not a morning person. This was an even worse problem back when I was a youngun. My dad would wake me up every morning and drag me out of bed and force me to eat cereal. Then, I would have to go sit on the landing to wait for the bus. Next, he would go back upstairs to drag my brothers out of bed. Unfortunately, I usually fell back asleep while waiting for the bus. I was a deep sleeper. Sometimes, I would miss the bus. This was a huge big deal and I got in trouble many times for this. See my Dad usually left for work as soon as he woke up my brothers. To take me to school would make him very late for work. I got many-a-groundings for that.

The point is that that sound still takes me back to the years of my life I've spent on a school bus. All in all I rode the bus from 1st grade until high school and then again for a semester in 10th grade before I got my liscence. I hated the bus because it stank, it was uncomfortable, and it was always early. There are hundreds of bad memories from riding the bus. I have very few good memories. And.. AND!! I was NEVER safety patrol. It was all I ever wanted in 5th grade but they never let me. I bet it was becuase I am a ginger.

2 comments:

Joan said...

Both my kids had to catch the bus around 6:30 in elementary school. It was an awful push out the door everyday. Catherine is a car rider this year and doesn't leave until 7. Stephen and I leave at 7:50. I'm not a morning person either. I manage to get up at 5:40 (part in thanks to my feline wake up call). Then I tend to oversleep on the weekends. I get up feed Chloe then go back to bed.

Alisa said...

I STILL ride the bus to school. It's weird to think about it. And I have the same heart-stopping panic when I hear the school buses go by (there is a high school in our neighborhood).